Series 9 Minutes, Shands Hospital Auxiliary Meetings 1961-1974
Physical Description: 0.4 linear ft. (1 box)
Arrangement note: The Hospital Auxiliary was formed as a volunteer organization for women who contributed time to the hospital in various ways- it was originally called the “Women’s Auxiliary”. In the early years of the Health Center/ Hospital (note that the hospital opened in 1958) many women faculty wives were associated with the Medical Guild and they developed a volunteer group that was an extension of the guild’s activities into all areas where patients needed care and concern. The auxiliary formed to carry on and extend the contributions of the volunteer group. On February 28, 1961, the first meeting was held for interested people and the UF Hospital Auxiliary became a member of the American Hospital Association and the Association of Florida Hospital Auxiliaries. The auxiliary was and is a volunteer organization open to the wider community, and that meets regularly to decide on volunteer projects and how to disburse funds. Volunteer initiatives included work in the blood bank, running the gift shop, patient comfort, with the general aim “to assist the staff of Shands at UF in rendering comfort, aid and friendly understanding to patients. We work to be goodwill ambassadors to the community at large. All volunteer services are performed with the advice and consent of the hospital Administration.” The name of the Auxiliary was changed in 1966, in 1983 and in 2000 to conform to the changes in the name of the hospital. It is now known as Shands Hospital Auxiliary at UF.
Contents note: The collection includes copies of the minutes from the first founding of the Auxiliary.